Eventually, everyone wants to look good with their best outfit collection. People spend time and money to organize the best wardrobe as casual and formal. But, when it comes to iron the clothes. Any unexpected thing can happen. Imagine! You are ironing your heartiest piece of cloth. And all of sudden you witness shiny iron mark on it due to more heated iron than required.
Oh God! You get the severe heart-ache at the moment and don’t know what to do? How to get rid shiny iron marks on clothes? You wish if ever you have read or heard about such thing. So, here we go and you have to give a read till the end.
Well, there are number of reasons the clothes get shiny. Most happening reasons are as follows:
- Firstly, the temperature of steams iron is not set for fabrics as mentioned on every iron. Simply, high or too high for the texture of the fabric. For this, get sound knowledge in detail about cheap iron vs. expensive iron and their using tricks.
- Secondly, uneven surfaces has higher chance to get shiny. Such as, pockets area or fold areas.
- Thirdly, too hot soleplate can simply melt the fibers of any cloth. And turned its original texture into patch or sheen look. Well always buys iron with best soleplates.
- Fourthly, if you let your iron to stay at such surface of clothe too long than needed can make it shiny.
Identify Content of the Fabric:
Perhaps, knowing the content of your fabric is important before ironing. So, find out your cloth is cotton, polyester or Poly cotton by the following tricks.
- One is water test that will identify the cloth. You have to soak a piece of cloth in water and give it fold or crush it in your hand. If it get a crease it is cotton, if not it is polyester. But this test cannot identify the cotton-polyester fabric.
- Second is burn test that will answer your third question too. For this, you have to take additional available piece of cloth. Then burn it!
- The cloth burns readily and give you small amount of soft fluffy ash. It is cotton.
- If it burns and melts at the same time with orange flame and black smoke. As a result gives you hard black ash, it is polyester.
- The fabric burning faster with black smoke as curling and melting. Giving you plastic black sticky left so it is poly cotton.
How to Remove Shiny Marks on Cloth Following Ironing
However, every problem has a solution. But when it comes to fabric texture it is little difficult. In other words cotton type fabric can be repairable but poly based fabrics are hard to undone.
Therefore, a few experienced ways are helpful for repairable fabrics mentioned below:
- One of the quickest way is to steam out the shiny area of the fabric. Hold your iron over shiny fabric let the steam penetrate the fabric.
- You can dip your fabric in cold water for the whole night. This method will help flattened fibers to get soft. To make your fabric possible to return back its normal condition.
- Re-wash your shiny fabric with the combo of vinegar and detergent. Use cold water for re-washing or soak it overnight.
- Use steel wool to scrub shiny spot in gentle manner. It will ask your time and patience but it is successful to let the shine go from your fabric.
- Nail file is another trick to undone sheen from clothes. Gently file the mark with weak side of your nail file. This will help to remove the mark.
- Soak the white piece of cloth in 3% of hydrogen peroxide then place on the shiny area and iron it. Lift the cloth piece to check the difference. Try again until done.
- Using tooth brush to undone compressed and flattened fibers is good too. Use delicate brush for delicate fabrics.
An Ounce of Prevention to Avoid the Shiny Marks
However, it is said “prevention is better than cure”. So it is better to ironing synthetics such as polyester with care and awareness. In addition, the sound knowledge of steam iron vs dry iron is very important to have for ironing such sensitive stuff. Furthermore, following up these measurements will save you from trouble
- While ironing poly stuff keep temperature of the iron between cool to warm. This is ideal to keep medium heat to remove wrinkles.
- The best is to follow the setting of an iron mentioned over it for each stuff. Take equally divide spray of water and vinegar. Spray on the fabric before ironing to remove wrinkles.
- A moist pressing cloth is good too. To avoid sheen and remove crease of the fabric.
- If your cloth has severe wrinkles than better is to wash it again. Let it dry as the weight of the fabric remove wrinkles as it dries out.
- You can iron when the fabric is near to dry. Semi wet cloth are ideal for ironing.
- Avoid using starch for polyester and poly based stuff as it cause iron to stick and sheen the fabric.
Perhaps, every home has the same story. A cloth pile for ironing is waiting once, twice or thrice a week. However, removing wrinkles is not an easy task to done on regular basis. For this, you need best steam generator iron and best ironing board that can compete with pile of clothes. Make the task easy and save time and energy of oneself.
Well, an iron is dry or steam, expensive or cheap but it will need care to perform for a long time. Even it is important for the life of clothes or fabrics. As well as, to prevent shiny iron marks on clothes.